The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries or regions. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Founded in 1925, the German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD is the largest German support organisation in the field of international academic co-operation.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme offers very good graduates from developing countries the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences.
In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should qualify the scholarship holders to become partners in the political and economic co-operation with Germany.
Participating Programmes in Host Institutions:
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below:
- Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: MA Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (Blended-learning)
- University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
- Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies (MA)
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
- Universität Passau: Development Studies (MA)
- University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
- University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
Eligibility and Requirements for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine.
- The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Eligibility: The main DAAD criteria for selection are:
- Academic degree with far above average results (upper third)
- language skills (every university has different language proficiency requirements)
- political and social engagement
- a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany
- expected benefit when returning to the home country or region
Selection Criteria: The main DAAD criteria for selection are the following:
- the study results so far
- knowledge of English (and German)
- political and social engagement
- a convincing description of the subject-related and
- personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
- The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
- Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
Value of Program:
- Prior to their study programmes all scholarship holders receive a 6- months-German language course from April 2019 to September 2019. The language courses take place at selected institutes in Germany and not at the universities of the selected master´s courses.
- The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master´s course taught in English. The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD.
- Furthermore, there is the possibility to attend networking events. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €.
- The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany.
- In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance and a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
- DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
How to Apply for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarship
How to Apply: Applications have to be submitted in German or English for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD). Applicants must indicate that they are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). The application period at all 8 universities lasts from 1 June – 31 July 2020.
Visit DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarship Program webpage for details.
Award Provider: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service).
by Scholars Hub
Scholars Hub is a site created for Scholars, to guide you write professional CV, professional Resume, Biodata. Tlcpost.com is not awarding scholarships, is not an employment site, not recruiter or agency or third party, and we not directly or indirectly involve in any stage of recruitment or employment. We don’t charge anything for any information shared in this site.
Our aim is to help interested international Scholars/Students, mostly from developing countries, by sharing verifiable scholarships round the world, give you some guidelines to write professional CV, Professional Resume for Job application.
Got a question? Email [email protected]