In this article, you will learn how to answer this behavioral interview question, tell me about a time you made a mistake. If you understand WHY the question is being asked, it enables you to give the perfect answer.
If you have any job interview coming up soon for any role or company, please make sure you read this article very well because it will help you be the standout candidate.
How do you answer Tell me about a time you made a mistake?
To help you pass your job interview, this article will cover the following three things:
- Reasons why the interviewer is asking you the behavioral interview question, Tell me about a time when you made a mistake. Because when you understand why the question is being asked, it enables you to give the perfect answer.
- How to structure your answer to this interview question to get the highest scores possible.
- Brilliant example answer to the interview question, tell me about a time when you made a mistake, which is guaranteed to impress the hiring manager.
Reasons why is the interviewer asking you the question, Tell me about a time when you made a mistake
They are asking you this question for two reasons:
- Because they want to assess whether you are honest about any mistakes you have made.
If you say that you have never made a mistake in your life, you are not being honest. We all make mistakes, but it is how you respond to the mistakes you make that is important.
- Because they want to hear that you took ownership of your mistake, you apologized for it if necessary, and you then took positive steps to learn from the experience.
Let now look at how to structure your answer to the interview question, Tell me about a time when you made a mistake.
How to structure your answer to this interview question
Make sure you structure your answer to this interview question and any other behavioral interview question by using the STAR technique.
The STAR Technique stands for Situation, Task, Action and Results.
- First, you start off your answer and you tell the interviewer the SITUATION you were faced with;
- you then briefly outline the TASK that needed doing;
- you then move on and give details about the ACTION you took to achieve the task;
- before finally telling the interviewer the RESULT following your actions.
Let now look at a brilliant example answer to the question, tell me about a time when you made a mistake.
Tell Me About A Time You Made A Mistake Answer
Question: Tell me about a time when you made a mistake
“When I first started work in my previous role, my manager asked for a volunteer to complete an important time sensitive task, and I agreed to be that person.
The task involved collecting twelve months worth of company sales figures, which my manager needed for an important presentation she was going to give to the senior management team.
When I started work on the task, I soon realized I had underestimated how long it was going to take me to complete it.
Because of my mistake, I had to stay behind late after work each evening and commit extra hours to get the job finished on time.
Moving forward, I made sure I never made the same mistake again. I considered carefully each task I was responsible for, and I took the time to determine the exact amount of hours and resources it would take me to finish it.”
There’s a brilliant example answer that’s going to help you be the standout candidate at your interview.
Thank you so much for reading and I wish you all the best at your job interview.
by Scholars Hub
Scholars Hub is a site created for Scholars, to guide you write professional CV, professional Resume, Biodata, Common Interview Questions and Answers. Tlcpost.com is NOT awarding scholarships, is NOT an employment site, NOT recruiter or agency or third party, and tlcpost.com is NOT directly or indirectly involve in any stage of recruitment or employment. We don’t charge anything for any information shared in this site.
The aim of setting up this interesting site is to help Scholars/Students, mostly from developing countries, by sharing and giving you some guidelines to write professional CV, Professional Resume for Job application, including some Common Interview Questions and Answers.
Got any question to ask? CLICK HERE